26th September 1917 saw the official opening of Solihull Cemetery, described in the opening brochure as being at the junction of Robin Hood Road and Olton Road, although the cemetery’s address is now usually given as Streetsbrook Road.
The 42-acre-site was chosen as the most suitable place for a cemetery, as it is “easy of access from all parts and is sufficiently removed from the residential districts not to be in any way detrimental to the same.”
The opening brochure describes the caretaker’s lodge and offices at the entrance, which were built of Staffordshire bricks with Hornton Stone dressings. The building work was undertaken by Thomas Bragg & Sons, Shirley and the laying out of the cemetery was carried out by Solihull Rural District Council staff, under the direction of Mr Albert Edward Currall (1862-1935), surveyor to the Council.
Part of the caretaker’s lodge was apparently used as a mortuary chapel until a permanent chapel was erected. The foundation stone for the new chapel was laid in 1930, and the building was then extended in 1958 when the Crematorium was opened.
Thomas George Turrell VC is buried in Robin Hood Cemetery.
For current information about Robin Hood Cemetery, please contact Solihull Council’s Bereavement Services.